If you memorized your lines for a ten-minute play...
Name the play, its author, and reflect on the process and product. Blog post is due 2 days after you perform. Minimum 250 words
(Skip a line between paragraphs.)
(Skip a line between paragraphs.)
From MADI MOUSLEY, HARLAND RANSOM, and PORTER BURKINS's Play Evaluation:
ReplyDelete“Free the Frogs” by Carrie Luft
1. What was your character’s motivation?
PORTER: My character’s motivation was dependent on her mom, who is an in-patient in the psychiatric ward, in which due to this my character started acting up more, and missing classes/school to visit her mother at the psych ward during visitation times. She really just wanted to get out of the meeting to go see her mom, clearly being a little embarrassed by the matter of fact.
MADI: Throughout the play, my character wanted to punish Casey for his actions.
2. How well did you use your pace of delivering lines and tone of voice to communicate your character’s motivation?
PORTER: I felt I did pretty well, I tried to use a faster pace during more heated moments where I kind of slowed down when discussing the more important things, using a bit of nervous stuttering throughout the performance, and trying to use different tones to convey different situations and moods.
MADI: I felt that I did pretty well on the pace of delivering my lines and tone of voice. For example, when Steve was reading the comments on the second page, I was supposed to cut him off at certain points and I feel that I accomplished that.
3. How well did you use your facial expression and body language to communicate your character’s motivation?
PORTER: I tried to use a more relaxed and/or “sick of it” expression and body language, trying my best to seem more laid back, but almost appalled by some of the things that were being said, while still keeping to the general theme of the script. Such as for when I was listening to the rambling of Casey’s actions, trying to give the vibe of “that is crazy” or “this is stupid.”
MADI: I tried to express serious, sincere, and “down to business” facial expressions and body language because I was playing the role of an Assistant Headmaster. For example, when I was talking about how Mountford has always treasured Casey as a student and quoting Harriet Merkel I tried to make it sound sincere.
4. Which props a/o costumes that you used were helpful? Which props/costumes might have enhanced the performance?
PORTER:: I tried my best to capture a laid-back highschooler who was getting prepped to head out, using a college jacket, sunglasses, backpack, hat, et cetera to convey this. I didn't really have props in the play except for clothing and my watch, therefore the props I used were helpful enough. Honestly, unless I had a wig or something, there wasn’t really anything that stood out to me of what would have “enhanced” the performance, as it was a pretty standard situation, nothing out of the ordinary.
MADI: For costumes, I used a nice shirt and a blazer. For props, I used a manila folder, and a phone. I think these props and costumes were helpful because I wanted to dress business-like (I was an Assistant Headmaster) and by using a phone, I clearly showed what was happening at the time. I honestly cannot think of any props/costumes that would have enhanced the performance.
5. Overall, how pleased are you about your group’s performance? What do you think contributed to your success?
PORTER: I am quite pleased with my group’s performance, I felt that everyone did a good job and there was some solid emotion portrayed throughout the performance itself, seeing a range of emotions, body language, et cetera. I think the general feel of knowing our scripts and working on how we should act in certain situations really contributed to our success in the performance, as well as the knowledge of the general purpose of what we were saying was leading to, knowing the character backgrounds.
MADI: I am very pleased with my group’s performance. I think Porter did a great job at memorizing his lines and portraying lots of emotion. I also think Harley did a great job at speeding up his lines and using certain facial expressions when necessary. I think a main thing that contributed to our success was that we all knew our scripts really well and expressed emotion at the right times.